Commitment to privacy and responsible use of information
The privacy of our customers, suppliers and contractors is of utmost importance to Dollar Car Rental New Zealand. This Privacy Statement sets out how we manage personal information across our business. It applies to Dollar and each wholly owned subsidiary of NRMA (NRMA Group) and to the practices of the agents and contractors engaged by the NRMA Group to provide goods and services. It also applies to your use of any Dollar or NRMA Group website, your dealings with Dollar and the NRMA Group as a member or a customer, and any third party information which may be collected by us.
We may update our policies and this Privacy Statement from time to time. The most current version will always be located on our website.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect will vary depending on your dealings with Dollar, services and benefits we (or our agents, contractors and third parties) provide to you, or a request or inquiry you make in relation to such products, benefits and services.
This information may include any or all of the following:
- name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details;
- electronic address(es);
- date of birth;
- passport and/or driver’s licence details;
- vehicle details including registration, model and colour;
- credit and debit card details;
- transaction details relating to your use of our products, services or member benefits;
- any benefits you obtain from your membership;
- any of the above information in respect of additional cardholders or your family members; and
- any preferences you tell us about.
Information is also generated whenever a page is accessed on our website that records information such as the time, date and specific page accessed. We collect such information for statistical and maintenance purposes that enables us to continually evaluate our website performance. Some parts of our websites also use “cookies”. A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive by a web page server. Cookies store information about the use of our website and are used to identify new or previous visitors to the website and what pages have been accessed. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies, but this function can usually be disabled if you wish and doing so will not affect your ability to use a website. Please note that, while all attempts are made to secure information transmitted to this site, there is a possibility that information (such as personal details, credit card numbers or other similar information) submitted could be observed by a third party while in transit.
Why we collect personal information
Generally, we collect and use personal information about customers to provide a range of products, services and benefits to customers relating to their car rental, motoring and related lifestyle needs.
We also collect personal information to assist in identifying ways in which we can serve you better, such as providing our products and services to you more effectively, and to assist our internal administration and operations including accounting, risk management, record keeping, archiving, systems development and testing, and staff training.
Some of the information we collect is for the purpose of improving our interaction with customers, suppliers and contractors and their involvement with Dollar and the NRMA Group.
How we collect information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, such as when you request a product or service, in the course of providing you with that product or service, or when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect and update that information over the phone, over the Internet, in person (when you visit us at a Dollar branch), when you write to us or if you participate in our marketing campaigns. We may also collect personal information through third parties such as:
- our related companies
- our business partners who provide member benefits
Storage and protection of personal information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files and other records. In so doing, we have taken numerous steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
We will not retain personal information if the law does not permit us to do so. Equally we will retain personal information where the law requires us to do that. This may mean that we will continue to hold the information after the relevant person ceases to use our services.
How we use personal information
We may use and disclose your personal information for a variety of purposes in connection with servicing you as a member or customer and in relation to our and the NRMA Group’s business operations. These include:
- processing and administering your dealings with us or the NRMA Group as a customer, supplier or contractor;
- providing you with the products and services you have requested from us or the NRMA Group;
- developing processes, products, services and benefits to better meet your needs; and
- conducting market research and marketing our and the NRMA Group’s products and services to you more generally.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from Dollar, please email: [email protected]. Please note that if you make such a request:
- we may still need to use your personal information to provide you with the services and products you have requested as a member or customer; and
- it may not be possible for us to immediately action a request to cease receiving any or all marketing material. However, we will respond to such requests as soon as practicable and will make all reasonable efforts to promptly activate a change in preference to opt out of receiving future marketing material.
We will not sell or rent your personal information without your consent. We may disclose your personal information where we are required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information or for any purposes connected to a fraud, crime prevention or impropriety investigation.
Disclosure of your personal information in certain circumstances
Where you make payment to us via Alipay or WeChat, then you need to be aware that:
- we may be obliged to disclose to Latipay all or some of your personal information, and that Latipay may also disclose that information to overseas recipients, including third party service providers or regulatory agencies in China who assist Latipay with meeting its regulatory obligations in New Zealand and China;
- the company that operates Latipay has agreed with us that it will take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure and protect it from unauthorised use and disclosure, but we are unable to guarantee that that will in fact be the case;
China may have less strict privacy laws than those contained in New Zealand’s Privacy Act 1993, including the information privacy principles contained in that Act; we cannot guarantee that an overseas recipient of any of your personal information will not breach those principles, and we will not be responsible for any breach by an overseas recipient.
Accordingly, if you do not want your personal information to be disclosed to third party service providers or regulatory agencies in China then we suggest you do not make payment to us via Alipay or WeChat or through any other means operated by Latipay and instead make payment in a different manner (e.g. by credit card).
Accessing and correction of personal information
The law permits individuals to obtain from us confirmation of whether or not we hold personal information about them and also to have access to that information. Individuals may request access to the personal information we hold about them by contacting us at:
Address: PO Box 39010, Christchurch
Attention: Dollar Privacy Officer
Email: [email protected]
Individuals are always entitled to request correction of any personal information we hold and, in addition to, to request that there be attached to the information a statement of any correction which the individuals may have sought but which for any reason has not been made.
We use Google AdWords Remarketing to advertise Dollar Car Rental across the Internet. AdWords remarketing will display relevant ads tailored to you based on the pages of the Dollar website you have viewed. To do this, a cookie is added to your web browser. This cookie does not in any way personally identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. It simply indicates to other websites that “This person visited a particular page on the Dollar website, so show them ads relating to that page”.
Google AdWords Remarketing allows us to tailor our marketing to better suit your needs and only display ads that are relevant to you.
If you do not wish to see ads from Dollar you can opt out in several ways:
Version 2 – 4 December 2018